5 Things: Massage Parlor Crackdown, Weekend Weather Outlook
Here's Five Things.
Good morning, here are five things to know today:
1. Medford Youth Shares Two Prizes At Robotics Contest: Nicholas Memme of Medford, a senior at Boston College High School, helped his BC High Robotics team to a twofold victory at the Boston FIRST* Regional Robotics Competition at Boston University, Agganis Arena on March 23 and 24. Nick and 14 other members of the BC High‘s newly-formed Robotics team, under the guidance of Mr. Mark Pumphrey of Rockland, faculty moderator, worked the entire year with the help of engineers and parents, to mechanically design, build, wire, and program their prized robot, ROOK. The robot was named The ROOK because, like a rook on a chess board, it can move sideways due to the swerve drive.
2. Council Looks to Bring Massage Parlors Under City Control: City councilors want more municipal control over licensing massage parlors after two remained open even after employees were arrested for offering sexual favors for cash. Council President Robert Maiocco brought a resolution forward, asking city department heads to craft an ordinance that would bring massage licensing under city authority. The state's Consumer Affairs Division of Professional Licensure currently handles the licensing of such establishments, but that isn't enough Maiocco said during the council's Tuesday night meeting. “They just don’t have the personnel, in my opinion,” Maiocco said.
3. Weather: Sunny skies and highs in the low 70s are expected today, according to the National Weather Service. There's a 40 percent chance of rain showers tomorrow and 60 percent chance Sunday, with highs in the 60s and 50s.
4. Action Plan Outlined for Scrutinized Medford Housing Authority: Three consultants and a new on-staff procurement officer are a few of the ways the Medford Housing Authority plans to address mismanagement of millions in federal funds uncovered in a recent federal audit. Medford Housing Authority Executive Director Robert Covelle outlined a 21-point action plan in response to a federal audit report during the housing authority's board of commissioners meeting Wednesday. Despite issues raised in the audit, Covelle said the authority was in good shape financially -- including a $6 million surplus -- and the issues would not impact residents. "We’re a high performer," Covelle said. "Our properties look great, and our vacancies are minimal."
5. Brian Williams Monday: Williams will be the guest of the 7th annual seventh Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism, held Monday April 23 at 12 p.m. at Distler Performance Hall. He is expected to discuss politics and election coverage. Seating will be on be on a first come, first served basis.