Arena Thanks Supporters, Won't Seek Recount
Mark Arena lost by only 36 votes for a spot on the city council, but he won't ask for a recount.
Mark Arena lost his spot on the City Council by only 36 votes Tuesday, but he won't seek a recount, he said in written statement Thursday.
"With only 35 votes separating me from election, we did consider requesting a recount at the urging of so many of you," Arena said in an email, "but in the final analysis, we have confidence in the system and in the dedicated people who worked diligently in the polling places and in the registrar's office."
Arena had been serving on the City Council since January when Stephanie Burke stepped down to become the city's budget director. Arena earned the seat because he was the 8th highest vote-getter in the 2009 election.
This time around, he received 4,368 votes, 36 less than incumbent Breanna Lungo-Koehn.
"To the almost 4400 citizens who voted for me, I offer my heartfelt thanks for your support and your confidence in me," Arena said in the statement. "To my colleagues on the council, it has been a privilege to serve with you, and I wish you all the best as you continue in your service to the citizens of the great City of Medford. I can't say enough about the many good people who served long and hard on my campaign."
All six incumbents on the council were re-elected. Joining them is newcomer Rick Caraviello who placed third in the election.