Five Things: 'A Christmas Carol' at Chevalier Theatre
What Medford should know today, Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012.
Here are five things to know today, Thursday, Dec. 13:
1. Sunny days. Today in Medford will be sunny with a high near 42 according to the National Weather Service. Light and variable wind. Tonight, mostly clear, with a low around 30. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph after midnight.
2. Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. "There's more of gravy than of grave about you!" As Statler and Waldorf would say, what a wonderfully terrible pun.
The curtain goes up at the Chevalier Theatre tonight on the beloved holiday play, with shows tonight at 7:30 p.m., Friday at 8 p.m. and a Sunday matinee at 2 p.m. Directed by Ross McDonald and featuring local Medford actor Jerry Goodwin, tickets to the show are $25 for general admission, $20 for seniors or student. The production is sponsored by RE/MAX Andrew Realty Services and Carroll’s, with Carroll’s offering a special package “Dinner or Brunch and a Show” for$ 39.95 which includes a ticket to the show and $25 towards dinner or brunch at Carroll’s the day of the performance.
3. Meet the author of Drinking Boston. Stephanie Schorow will be at Bestsellers Cafe tonight at 7 p.m. Drinking Boston pays tribute to the fascinating role alcohol has played throughout the city’s history. Teasing out the city’s curious relationship with alcohol, Drinking Boston introduces readers to the cast of characters who championed or vilified drinking and the places where they imbibed—legally and otherwise.
4. Medford Elder Food Pantry open today. The pantry is open from 2-3:30 p.m. at the Medford Senior Center, 101 Riverside Ave., on the second Thursday of every month. Mystic Valley Elder Services, the Medford Council on Aging and Bread of Life have announced that the pantry is now accepting applications. If you are a senior 60 or older, or an adult with disabilities who lives in senior housing, a resident of Medford, and you are low-income, you are eligible to participate in the brand new Medford Elder Food Pantry. You must register to receive food. Visit Pam Kelly at the Medford Senior Center, or call 781-396-6010 for more info.
5. Winter farmers' market open today. The Medford Farmers Market invites the public to continue shopping local and independent. The Market's first Winter Season will be held in the Hyatt Place hotel in Medford Square, just across the street from the site of the summer Farmers Market. It will be open every Thursday (except the Dec. 27), from 3-7 p.m.