Five Things: Christmas Carol Sing-along Tonight
What Medford should know today, Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012.
Here are five things to know today, Thursday, Dec. 20:
1. Sun gives way to clouds tonight. Today will be mostly sunny in Medford with a high near 40, according to the National Weather Service. Northwest wind around 7 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Tonight, showers likely after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
2. Christmas Carol Sing-along at Bestseller's Cafe. Join Michael Maloney at 7 p.m. tonight at Bestsellers in an evening of Christmas Carol sing-alongs. Michael will be singing, and hopes you'll join in. He'll be promoting his fundraiser for Boston Children's Hospital. He went to Children's for a hip problem, and is thankful for their help in getting him back on his feet. Last year he raised $800 through donations and including all sales of his "Maybe This Christmas EP," featuring 3 original Christmas songs he wrote for the fundraiser. This year has raised $275 so far. If you can't make it tonight, you can make a direct donation to Children's Hospital.
3. Special needs support group meets. "Similarly Different" is a support group for parents and caregivers of children with PDD, ASD, and other special needs. Join in to fight the isolation and uncertainty of caring for a child who is differently abled. No matter where you are in the process, share your experience with others. The group meets once a month and tonight at Bestsellers at 7:30 p.m.
4. Last day to support Medford Youth Girls Softball by shopping at Modell's. Print out the coupon here—click on the coupon to expand, then click "Print" at the top of the window—and use it at Modell's Sporting Goods by the end of the day today to get 15 percent off your purchase, with 5 percent going to Medford Youth Girls Softball.
5. Winter farmers' market open today. The Medford Farmers Market invites the public to continue shopping local and independent. The Market's first Winter Season will be held in the Hyatt Place hotel in Medford Square, just across the street from the site of the summer Farmers Market. It will be open every Thursday (except the Dec. 27), from 3-7 p.m.