Five Things: MLK's Birthday
City Council meets tonight; Like us on Facebook.
SONG OF THE DAY: "Snow" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Good morning, Medford! Here are five things you need to know today, Tuesday, Jan. 15:
1. CITY COUNCIL: The Medford City Council will meet tonight at 7 p.m. at Medford City Hall. Take a look at their agenda here.
2. NEW MBTA CHIEF: The new GM of the MBTA, Beverly Scott, recently spoke on "Greater Boston" about the future of the service. See what she had to say here.
3. LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: Did you know Medford Patch is on Facebook? We're trying to get up to 1,000 likes as quickly as possible and we'd love to have your help. If you're on Facebook head over to our page and give us a like!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On January 15, 1929, Martin Luther King Jr. is born in Atlanta, Georgia, the son of a Baptist minister. King received a doctorate degree in theology and in 1955 helped organized the first major protest of the African-American civil rights movement: the successful Montgomery Bus Boycott. Influenced by Mohandas Gandhi, he advocated civil disobedience and nonviolent resistance to segregation in the South. The peaceful protests he led throughout the American South were often met with violence, but King and his followers persisted, and the movement gained momentum. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly sunny with a high of 41. Mostly cloudy tonight with a low around 26.