Five Things: School Vacation About to Start
Have you signed up for the Medford Patch newsletter yet?
SONG OF THE DAY: "Heroes" by David Bowie
Good morning, Medford! Here are five things you need to know today, Friday, Feb. 15:
1. SCHOOL VACATION: After today, Medford Public Schools students will be on February vacation until Feb. 25. Local kids have had quite a bit of time away from schools of late.
2. RATE THE PLOWING: How did you feel Medford did when it came to plowing during and after the big snowstorm? Tell us in the comments on this article.
3. GET THE PATCH NEWSLETTER: Have you signed up for the Medford Patch Daily Newsletter yet? Each morning you can get Medford Patch news delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. It's totally free, so if you like what you read here, sign up now!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On February 15, 1998, after 20 years of trying, racing great Dale Earnhardt Sr. finally wins his first Daytona 500, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) season opener and an event dubbed the "Super Bowl of stock car racing." Driving his black No. 3 Chevrolet, Earnhardt recorded an average speed of 172.712 mph and took home a then-record more than $1 million in prize money. Following his victory, crews from competing teams lined the pit road at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, to congratulate Earnhardt, who drove his car onto the grass and did several celebratory doughnuts, or circles. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Partly sunny with highs close to 50. Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow an lows around 35.