Five Things: Thoughts on Patrick's Tax Hike?
FDR was first inaugurated as president 80 years ago today.
SONG OF THE DAY: "Rock & Roll" by the Velvet Underground
Good morning, Medford! Here are five things you need to know today, Monday, March 4:
1. SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The Medford School Committee is scheduled to meet tonight at 7 p.m. in the Howard F. Alden Auditorium of City Hall. Check out their agenda here.
2. PATRICK'S TAX HIKE: Do you think Gov. Deval Patrick's plans to increase state taxes by $1.9 billion will pass? Leave your thoughts here.
3. GET THE PATCH NEWSLETTER: Have you signed up for the Medford Patch Daily Newsletter yet? Each morning you can get Medford Patch news delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. It's totally free, so if you like what you read here, sign up now!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On March 4, 1933, at the height of the Great Depression, Franklin Delano Roosevelt is inaugurated as the 32nd president of the United States. In his famous inaugural address, delivered outside the east wing of the U.S. Capitol, Roosevelt outlined his "New Deal"--an expansion of the federal government as an instrument of employment opportunity and welfare--and told Americans that "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Although it was a rainy day in Washington, and gusts of rain blew over Roosevelt as he spoke, he delivered a speech that radiated optimism and competence, and a broad majority of Americans united behind their new president and his radical economic proposals to lead the nation out of the Great Depression. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly cloudy with a high around 45. Clouds again tonight with a low of 30.