Medford Council on Aging January 2012 Newsletter
Here is the newsletter for January 2012 from the Medford Council on Aging.
[Editor's note: The information below was issued in a press release from the Medford Council on Aging.]
Zumba/Let your Yoga Dance® Wednesdays at 10:15am with Emily. This great combination of Zumba and yoga dance is perfect for seniors. Come on down and let the music keep you moving. Classes are $3.00 pay as you go.
AARP TAX AID 2012 This year’s group of tax preparers, trained in the latest tax updates by the AARP includes: Coordinator Peter Suffredini, Judy Dreivers, Thomas Brady, Tom Crowe and Barbara Adams. The program will continue to be offered each Thursday from 9:00am to 1:00pm (last apptmt at 12:00) Start Date February 9th until April 5th. Appointments are a MUST; call 781-396-6010. Please bring to your appointment a copy of last years return and all 2011 tax documents.
Tai Chi Chi Kung Ancient form of exercise that improves breathing and posture and releases tension, with instructor Marie Favorito. New Session begins January 6th for 12 weeks. Prepay $45.00 or $5.00 pay as you go. Please call or stop in to reserve your spot today, 781-396-6010.NEW SESSION DATES: January 6,13,20,27, February 3, 17, 24, March 2, 9,16,23,30
Please Join Dale Tamburro January 10th at 1pm for a seminar on New Homestead Law and Other Ways to Protect Your Home We will draft and notarize for FREE Homesteads for all attendees. Refreshments will be served Please call 781-396-6010 to reserve your seat today
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- AVIV Homecare a private duty Homecare Agency is proud to offer Free Blood Pressure Clinics at the Medford COA. FREE Clinics will be held on Wednesdays 11:00am to 12:00 noon January 11, & 25.
- Home Care & Downsizing/Organizing Tips: The ElderInsider will present a free workshop on Wednesday January 11th from 10am to 12noon. Start off the New Year by learning more about Home Care and Home Organizing! Please join in this informative 1 hour presentation that will give you the information you need to know about Home Care and invaluable tips to help you organize and sustain your independence. Please call to sign up 781-396-6010.
- TAXI BOOKS Reminder the Senior Center sells taxi books for our seniors convenience. You can save 20% and pay only $8.00 per book for $10.00 of value. No expiration date on the taxi books. We would like to Thank Malden/Medford Taxi for their continuing work with the community.
- Chris Grande from Walnut Hill Advisors, LLC– will be offering a free seminar February 21st on Home Downsizing Series. A light lunch of pizza will be served, please reserve your seat today, by calling 781-396-6010.
- Drop-In Center Blood Pressure Clinic provided by Greater Medford VNA, Thursday, January 5th from 10:00am to 12:00noon. All are welcome
- Low Vision Support Group, Next meeting on January 20th, new members welcomed. The Low Vision support group is sponsored by the Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired. The group is for individuals who are losing their vision and would like to learn from and listen to others’ experiences.
- Greater Medford Visiting Nurses Association sponsors a support group on Wednesday January 4th for people living with Parkinson’s disease and other Movement Disorders from 10:30am to noon. Contact Marie Knasas GMVNA at 781-396-2633 ext 202. The group will meet at Medford Senior Center. Support group will provide a forum for people living with Parkinson’s disease.
- Diabetes Support Group will meet January 26th at 11:00am. Diane Doucette, PRN, MSN, Certified Diabetic Counselor, please stop in, all new members welcome.
- Attorney John Donahue from “Law for Life” - Beginning 1pm on January 24th, Attorney Donahue will be available for 15/20 minute free advice and or information.
- Whole Foods Cooking Class—January 20 at 1pm, at the Medford Senior Center. Join Carla for cooking demonstration with a healthy lunch. Sign up in advance is required; please call 781-396-6010.
- Reflexology with Jane Aire Beckwith, MsT AMTA certified and licensed will be offering reflexology on Monday January 9, & 23rd at 1pm. Reflexology provides deep relaxation on your hands or feet, strengthens immune system, discharges toxins and improves your health, and so much more. Jane Aire will be at the Medford senior center twice a month on Mondays from 12:30 to 2:30. She will offer 20 minute sessions for $15.00. A $5 deposit is required at time of reservation.
- Ten of the Greatest Myths about Breast Cancer—Please join Rebecca Yang , director of the Comprehensive Breast Health Center at Lahey Clinic North Shore on Wednesday January 25th at 11am at the Medford Senior Center. She will answer questions and perform Risk Assessment evaluations to participants. Please sign up in advance by calling 781-396--6010.
- LUNCH: noontime meals are served each weekday, lunch program is run in cooperation with Mystic Valley Elder Services. Please call at least a day prior to reserve your meal, $1.50 meal donation is requested.
- BINGO: Each Wednesday begins at 1:00pm; $2.50 for 11 games, coffee, and dessert
- SHINE each Thursday in January from 2:00pm to 4:00pm, Barbara McGonagle will be available by appointment to help you with all your health insurance needs. Call 781-396-6010 for appointment.
- Alterations with Carmina, every Friday, 1—2 pm. Excellent work at reasonable prices. Master Tailor Carmina Cerbone is fast, efficient, and affordable.
- Legal Assistance, TriCAP Atty. Jayna Stafford on Wednesday January 11th, starting at 10 am Call 781-396-6010 for an appointment. Tri-Cap Legal Services for low-income residents
- Roland’s Jewelry Repair, Wednesday, January 18th, 11—12 noon. John Racicot will help you with your jewelry repair needs. He will also replace batteries in hearing aids.
- Computer Cards Thursdays beginning at 1pm. January 5, 12, 19,26
- Pet Therapy, Barbara and JACK a pet therapy dog. January 11th at 11:30am
- Representative Donato will be at the senior center on January 25th at 10:30am to listen and talk about any issue that you may have.
- Afternoon Movie, Tuesday January at 1pm, Free Movie The Help, A look at what happens when a southern town’s unspoken code of rules and behavior is shattered by 3 courageous women who strike up an unlikely friendship. PG13
- Legal Services provided by Dale Tamburro, PC, Tues January 10th at 10 am. Private one to one appointments, first session free. Please call to reserve 781-396-6010.