What's Happening in Medford This Weekend?
Candidate kick-off event, salon open house and Palm Sunday procession.
SONG OF THE DAY: "Letter to Elise" by the Cure
Good morning, Medford! Here are five things you need to know today, Friday, March 22
1. OSBORE CAMPAIGN KICK-OFF: Medford attorney Neil Osborne is holding a fish fry to kick-off his campaign for the Medford City Council Saturday at the West Medford Community Center starting at 12 to 2:30 p.m.
2. PALM SUNDAY PROCESSION: St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church and Grace Episcopal Church will be blessing palms together for Palm Sunday at 9:30 a.m. This year, the Grace congregation will be processing to St. Joseph's. "The procession will be quite something with many of our folks in costumes for their Passion Play, and there will be Palm Dancers, a band, and Jesus riding on a real horse," according to Grace pastor Rev. Noah H. Evans.
3. HAINES SQUARE SALON OPEN HOUSE: Nancy Campobasso is celebrating one year in business at Nancy's Family Salon with an open house Sunday from 12 to 3 p.m. Door prizes will be available as well as food and drinks.
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: In an effort to raise funds to pay off debts and defend the vast new American territories won from the French in the Seven Years' War (1756-1763), the British government passes the Stamp Act on this day in 1765. The legislation levied a direct tax on all materials printed for commercial and legal use in the colonies, from newspapers and pamphlets to playing cards and dice. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly cloudy in the morning with a sun later arriving and highs in the lower-40s. Partly cloudy tonight with lows around28.