A Medford band may soon gets its first big break!
Patch is holding a Video Battle of the Bands contest in which local bands will square off for musical supremacy.
The Patch Video Battle of the Bands is the chance of a lifetime for local musicians. This is a chance for you and your bandmates to show off your abilities as musicians and earn some terrific prizes.
The grand prize winner will get to headline a gig at The Harp in Boston in June!
Submissions are due by noon Friday, April 20.
A few things about this contest:
- You must submit a performance video with an original song. No covers.
- All members must be at least 15 years old.
- At least one member of the band must be from a community covered by Patch.
- All genres are welcome to compete. Blues, Country, Metal, Rock, Alternative, R&B, Rap, Hip-Hop, Pop ... bring it on!
- Your entry must include typed out lyrics to the song. Songs with inappropriate lyrics will be disqualified. (And don't pretend you don't know what inappropriate lyrics are.)
- Your entry must include the names and addresses of all band members.
- Instrumentals are permitted.
- Solo acts are permitted.
Area bands whose entries meet the contest rules will square off first in a regional round in which bands from Greater Boston will battle for supremacy—and our readers will tell us who’s their choice!
Then, the top two winners from the Greater Boston round will square off in the finals against finalists from the North Shore/Merrimack Valley and South Shore/Cape and the Islands.
- Friday, April 20 – Deadline for submissions
- Monday, April 23 – Regional round begins
- Friday, May 4 – Regional round ends
- Monday, May 7 – Final round begins
- Friday, May 18 – Final round ends
- Monday, May 21 – Grand prize winner announced
We have some great prizes lined up for the winners. The band that receives the most votes in the regional round will win two hours of recording time at a local recording studio. The Greater Boston top vote getter will get time at Oak Grove Recording in Malden.
But that’s just the start. The winner of the finals will get even more prizes!
- Videos should not be longer than four minutes or exceed 100 MB. Keep it to one of these formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, or 3G2.
- One entry per band.
- Videos must be 100% original work. No covers or third-party materials.
- To submit your entry: email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or upload to this article.
So those are the ground rules. Now, it’s time for your band to step into the spotlight!
For more information about the rules, please see the rules document attached to the article.