1.) THE BASICS: Brass Union, a new eatery and lounge, is replacing Precinct at 70 Union Square in Somerville. The restaurant/bar is expected to open in June.
2.) CONCEPT: The front of Brass Union will be reminiscent of a New York City-style tavern with a 24-seat bar. The back area will be a lounge with a 30-seat bar, live DJ and games.
3.) GAMES?: Yes, games. The lounge area in Brass Union will have a vintage Pac-Man tabletop video game, board games and a shuffleboard court. The restaurant’s patio will also have cornhole.
4.) FOOD: Executive Chef Jonathan Kopacz, formerly of Chez Henri in Cambridge, is in charge of Brass Union’s kitchen. His menu will feature American-style small plates.
5.) MENU HIGHLIGHTS: These four menu items ($12-18) were featured in Brass Union’s release:
- Roasted natural chicken (dark meat “confit hash,” chanterelles, chicken liver mousse, mustard jus)
- Spicy bay scallops (citrus garlic sauce, pea shoots, pea and mint mousse)
- Steak tartare (lightly poached egg yolk, pickled ramps, Bloody Mary vinaigrette, toast)
- Pulled beef brisket sandwich (creamy Brussels sprout “slaw,” housemade spicy mustard)
6.) DRINKS: Mixologist Paulo Pereira, formerly of Vine Brook Tavern in Lexington and Lansdowne Pub in Boston, will be in charge of beverages. Four cocktail highlights from the release:
- The Citadel (sherry, Maurin Quina, honey syrup, dash of dandelion Burdock bitters)
- Rum & Smoke (Bully Boy aged rum, smoked lime juice, Orgeat Ginjinha, maraschino cherry garnish)
- Esqueleto (Reposado tequila, coffee syrup, Luxardo Maraschino, lemon, chili peppers, topped with passion fruit soda)
- Green Line Extension (bourbon, brandy, green chartreuse, sugar cube, bitters)
7.) HOURS & NUMBER: Brass Union will be open Monday-Thursday 4 p.m. to 1 a.m., Friday from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Saturday from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m., serving food until midnight seven nights a week. On Sundays, brunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and it will remain open until 1 a.m. The number is 617-623-9211.