.

5 Things to Know Today, Tuesday, Oct. 23

Here's Five Things.

Medford Reduces Seating Requirement in Liquor Ordinance: More restaurants are now eligible for liquor licenses in Medford, but a new ordinance hasn't caused of flood of applications. The ordinance change, approved by Governor Deval Patrick last month, reduces the required number of seats at a restaurant seeking a full liquor license from 99 to 50. "I think it will help us bring in quality businesses," Camuso said. "That’s really the whole point of this."

Weather: Mostly sunny skies with highs in the mid-60s are expected today, according to the National Weather Service. There's a 20 percent chance of rain tomorrow.

Governor Launches Electronic Medical Records System: Gov. Deval Patrick launched the state's electronic health transmission record system last week by being the first to send his own medical records from Massachusetts General Hospital to Baystate Health in Springfield.  The new Massachusetts Health Information Exchange (HIE) allows electronic information to be securely electronically transmitted between health care providers –  regardless of provider affiliation, location, or differences in technology – so that they can coordinate care, lower costs and ensure greater patient safety and lower health care costs, according to the governor's office.  

Male Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Massachusetts: Breast cancer: Guys get it too. That's the message of The Blue Wave, a group created to spread awareness about breast cancer in men, and the message that will be sent the week of Oct. 21-27 in Massachusetts after Gov. Deval Patrick signed a bill proclaiming the third week in October as Male Breast Cancer Awareness Week. Last month, Patrick signed the bill, which says the week aims "to raise awareness of the occurrence of breast cancer in men and to encourage regular testing for breast cancer amongst all citizens of the Commonwealth."

Former Medford Scoutmaster Among those in Boy Scout 'Perversion Files': A Medford scoutmaster in the 1960s was banned from involvement with the Boy Scouts after multiple members of his troop alleged he had inappropriate contact with them, according to previously non-public Boy Scouts of America files. The files were released Thursday by order of the Oregon Supreme Court. They were used as evidence in a 2010 lawsuit against the Scouts in a molestation case that resulted in a jury awarding $20 million to a man molested by an assistant scoutmaster in the 1980s.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something