SONG OF THE DAY: "Babel" by Mumford & Sons
Good morning, Medford! Here are five things you need to know today, Thursday, May 2:
1. LOOKING FOR LOCAL VOICES: Did you know Medford Patch is always looking for new bloggers? If you've got a letter to the editor you'd like to submit, the way to get it on Patch is to post it as a blog. We've got more information here, and any questions can be directed to email@example.com.
2. MEDFORD POLLEN COUNT: Got allergies? Wondering what Medford's pollen count is today? We've got a tracker right here that you can check everyday.
3. GET THE PATCH NEWSLETTER: Have you signed up for the Medford Patch Daily Newsletter yet? Each morning you can get Medford Patch news delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. It's totally free, so if you like what you read here, sign up now!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: Although accounts of an aquatic beast living in Scotland's Loch Ness date back 1,500 years, the modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster is born when a sighting makes local news on May 2, 1933. The newspaper Inverness Courier related an account of a local couple who claimed to have seen "an enormous animal rolling and plunging on the surface." The story of the "monster" (a moniker chosen by the Courier editor) became a media phenomenon, with London newspapers sending correspondents to Scotland and a circus offering a 20,000 pound sterling reward for capture of the beast. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Sunny today with a high of 68. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 40.