SONG OF THE DAY: "Suit & Tie" by Justin Timberlake (feat. Jay Z)
Good morning, Medford! Here are five things you need to know today, Friday, Jan. 25:
1. PEDRO'S BACK: A familiar name is back with the Red Sox, albeit not on the diamond. Legendary hurler Pedro Martinez, who dazzled on the mound in Boston from 1998 to 2004, has been hired by the Red Sox as special assistant to general manager Ben Cherington.
Considering the Red Sox had the 12th-best team earned run average out of 14 American League teams in 2012, having Pedro around won't hurt.
2. STAMP PRICES GOING UP: Brace yourselves: it's going to cost a little more to send a letter starting this weekend. We've got all the details here.
3. LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: Did you know Medford Patch is on Facebook? We're trying to get up to 1,000 likes as quickly as possible and we'd love to have your help. If you're on Facebook head over to our page and give us a like!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On this day in 1863, Union General Ambrose Burnside is removed as commander of the Army of the Potomac after serving in the role for two months. In January 1863, Burnside attempted another campaign against Robert E. Lee. Four days of rain turned the Union offensive into the ignominious "Mud March," during which the Yankees floundered on mud roads while Lee's men jeered at them from across the Rappahannock River. Lincoln had seen enough--General Joseph Hooker took over command of the army from Burnside. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: It'll be a downright balmy 24 degrees today with sunny skies. Snow will likely develop tonight with a low of 13.