Firefighters Douse 2 Basement Blazes

East Providence firefighters extinguish fires at 52 Maple Ave. and 173-175 Quarry St. over the weekend.

East Providence firefighters extinguished a blaze late Sunday night, Jan. 6, in the basement of a home at 52 Maple Ave.

No one was injured. But the homeowner was displaced when electricity to the home was cut off, said Assistant East Providence Fire Marshal, Lt. James Bellamy. 

The blaze appears to have been caused by some type of “electrical condition in the house,” said Bellamy. “The fire started in the basement and there was damage to the first-floor bathroom.”

The fire was reported about 10 pm. The owner is staying with family “until an electrician can address the electrical issues,” said Bellamy.

East Providence firefighters also responded to a dryer fire on Friday night, Jan. 4, at 173-175 Quarry St. that sent a first-floor tenant to the hospital.

“The fire was contained to the dryer and extinguished by the fire department,” said Bellamy.  “The house did fill with smoke and one first-floor tenant was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.”

“No one was displaced by the fire,” said Bellamy.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »